At the Lord’s Ranch Community in El Paso, Texas amazing miracles have been occurring for many years. Fr Rick Thomas, SJ, who founded the community in 1975, said ‘The spirit continues to do very big things on a very small scale.’ Why is this? He says it is simply because of a lack of trust in God; people will only go so far. To go further, we have to renounce all our possessions (Matthew 19:21). In Luke 14:34, Jesus again asserts. ‘So no one can become my disciple without giving up everything for me.’
God tells us clearly not to worry about tomorrow (Matthew 6:25-34), but we worry! That is disobedience.
So what must we do?
1. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, study the Scriptures very carefully.
2. Ask God for direction, through prayer and silence.
3. Look around at what is going on in our towns or cities; there is no need to look further afield.
4. Make plans, BUT hang loose and expect God to change them.
What must we watch out for?
1. It is important to discern God’s will before we take action.
2. Personal sin is a great barrier: keep the commandments. It is incredible how even using common sayings such as ‘Good luck’, ‘touch wood’ or ‘fingers crossed’ which are based on superstition linked to witchcraft and magic are in fact breaches of the first commandment: ‘You shall have no other gods before me’ – see the Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 2111 onwards for more information.
3. Avoid corporate sin for example, exploiting workers. Maintain honesty and integrity, pay debts on time and treat employees fairly.
4. Avoid disunity – love one another, forgive transgressions.
5. Expect opposition: the moment we try to follow God’s will for us faithfully, Satan will step in to defeat us, simply by distracting us from our mission.
The above help and advice comes from a book The Bible on the Border – if you go to the Books page on this blog, more information is available via a link.
To find out more about The Lord’s Ranch Community in El Paso go to http://thelordsranchcommunity.com/