At a recent gathering of the Cursillo Movement, the Pope asked the gathering whether they knew the corporate and spiritual works of mercy. He asked those who did not know to raise their hands. A considerable number raised their hands. Pope Francis turned to the Bishops and told them they had some work to do.
So to help them, here is a list of each:
The corporal works of mercy are:
- To feed the hungry;
- To give drink to the thirsty;
- To clothe the naked;
- To harbour the harbourless;
- To visit the sick;
- To ransom the captive;
- To bury the dead.
The spiritual works of mercy are:
- To instruct the ignorant;
- To counsel the doubtful;
- To admonish sinners;
- To bear wrongs patiently;
- To forgive offences willingly;
- To comfort the afflicted;
- To pray for the living and the dead.